Walk down the aisle of your local beauty store and you'll probably find tons of products that promise to meet your skin's needs. Although encouraging, these products contain several unnatural chemicals that may actually do more harm than good.
While the Federal Drug Administration (FDA) and the cosmetics companies maintain that these chemicals are safe, when used more than necessary, they can build up and put your health at risk. The fact that no one really knows how these chemicals work inside our bodies should be enough reason to steer away from using them.
As an alternative, you can try using coconut oil instead. It's one of the safest and most natural beauty solutions you can ever get your hands on.
How does coconut oil help the skin?
Coconut oil is an effective moisturizer no matter what your skin type is.
It works exceptionally well in preventing dryness and flaking of the skin.
Aside from this property, coconut oil is also filled with antibacterial and antifungal properties. It can even help fight signs of skin aging, such as sagging skin and wrinkles, as it's a potent antioxidant, too.
According to research, coconut oil is helpful in the management of various skin problems, including psoriasis, dermatitis and eczema. It's also effective in managing skin infections.
Because of its tons of benefits, it's not surprising to find that a lot of skin care product use it as a base ingredient.
Some brands of lip balms use coconut oil to address dry and cracked lips. Even eye creams have coconut oil to reduce wrinkles and prevent puffiness.
The natural oil is also effective as a makeup remover. By breaking down makeup, it can even remove your stubborn waterproof eye makeup and mascara.
What are the different ways to apply coconut oil to your skin?
- To cleanse your face with coconut oil, rub it into your face and neck using your fingers. Do this in a gentle circular motion.
After a few minutes, you can rinse the oil with lukewarm water. However, if you want added moisture, you can leave the oil on your face overnight as a mask.
- You can also exfoliate your face with a homemade facial scrub. To do this, you have to melt a few tablespoons of coconut oil over low heat and mix it with an equal amount of salt or sugar.
For scent, you can add a few drops of your favorite essential oil. Vanilla and lavender are good options because they are calming.
- You can use the scrub on your target areas or rub it on your entire body for a full body scrub. It can help remove dead skin cells, leaving your body supple and soft.
- As a makeup remover, you have to use a little bit of liquified coconut oil. Put a small amount of it on a cotton ball or directly apply on your skin and rub.
In rinsing, keep in mind to use lukewarm water. Test it first to make sure you don't burn your skin.
Where can I get coconut oil?
You can buy coconut oil from most major retailers online or offline. It's readily available so you won't really have a hard time finding one.
What are the Other Health Benefits of Coconut Oil?
Aside from its tons of skin benefits, coconut oil can also do a lot for your health.
- Because it has essential protein for nourishing and healing, coconut oil can help grow and moisturize your hair.
- Research suggests that coconut oil provides better protection to hair caused by hygral fatigue, dandruff or chronically dry scalp.
- Coconut oil, if ingested, helps promote weight loss. Research says that it helps reduce waist size, decrease the risk of chronic diseases and promote longevity.
- The oil also aids in digestion and helps with the healthy functioning of both your thyroid and endocrine system. Furthermore, it can increase your body's metabolic rate by removing stress on your pancreas.
There are many reasons why you should be using coconut oil. Aside from its benefits on your skin, it can make you generally healthy and vibrant.
Do you use coconut oil? What other benefits do you experience from using it?