Best Face Masks For Acne Prone Skin - 2017 Reviews and Top Picks
As we are committed to helping you get your most beautiful skin, we went through the hard work of studying 20 different skin products to find the best face masks for acne prone skin. The products that made it to our list were chosen based on their nourishing properties without the risk of skin breakouts. These masks are set to change the way you pamper your skin.
A Quick Glance: Our Top Choices For The Best Face Masks For Acne Prone Skin
Origins Clear Improvement Active Charcoal Mask can lift off impurities and toxins from your skin without harming your pores. It's infused with activated charcoal and comes without parabens and harsh chemicals.
However, if you have extra sensitive dry skin, this might not be a good fit for you.
Another good option is the Bliss Multi-'Face'-eted All-in-One Clay Mask. On top of its capability to clear up acne, it can also help you get rid of your wrinkles, dark spots and fine lines.
The mask works well in absorbing excess oil and making your pores look cleaner.
Era Organics Microdermabrasion Face Scrub & Facial Mask in One as the name implies, is both a scrub and a mask. It has Manuka honey which is extremely beneficial to acne-prone skin.
Exfoliation is an essential skin care step for anyone with acne prone skin. This is exactly where Joanna Vargas Skincare Exfoliating Mask can help you.
We're recommending it to people with severe blackheads and skin impurities. It helps unclog pores while getting rid of dull and dead skin cells.
Boscia Luminizing Black Mask can take care of your pores, oily skin and even signs of skin aging. It’s made from high-quality ingredients that pull out impurities like magnet from your skin.
What Makes a Good Mask for Acne-Prone Skin?
While every acne face mask has its own combination of ingredients, the main purpose of an acne face mask is to soak up excess oil. When your skin is too oily, you’re prone to breakouts and clogged pores. Other characteristics of acne face masks are as follows:
- Clay or mud masks are good for people who have extra oily skin or particularly large pores, two things that can contribute to acne. You can read our buying guide about Best Face Mask for Oily Skin to find out more.
- According to Into the Gloss, two of the best ingredients for acne-prone skin are bentonite and sulfur, thanks to their anti-microbial properties.
- While people who battle with acne don’t always have oily skin, many do. Mattifying masks are meant to help people who have oily skin.
- According to Shape, glycolic acid is another good ingredient for people with acne. This ingredient helps to improve texture, which is essential if you’ve had acne or have blemishes or bumps.
- Before using a new face mask, always test a small section of your skin. If the mask ends up irritating you, you won’t have a full face of red, itchy skin.
Top 10 Masks for Acne-Prone Skin
Face masks are extremely popular right now in the beauty world, but with so many brands and ingredients out there, it’s difficult to know which is the right one for you. Read on for ten suggestions for the best acne face masks on shelves today.
Origins Clear Improvement Active Charcoal Mask to Clear Pores is a charcoal-activated mask that draws out the deep dwellers that clog your pores.
This mask doesn’t contain problematic ingredients, like parabens and other ingredients that wreak havoc on your skin, but instead has activated ingredients to make a real difference for your complexion.
By absorbing toxins and getting rid of impurities, you’re bound to notice a major difference after just one or two uses.
Charcoal is one of the most popular ways to promote healthy skin and clear up acne. Active ingredients include charcoal, White China Clay and lecithin.
- This mask doesn’t contain any parabens, sulfates or phthalates.
- The activated charcoal acts like a magnet in order to draw out whatever is clogging your pores.
- This product also includes White China Clay, which absorbs toxins.
- The lecithin in this mask dissolves impurities.
- Some users with sensitive skin complain that this mask makes their skin extra dry.
- Some people have said that this face masks tightens the skin too much, to the point that the skin is uncomfortable.
- People with certain skin types may find that it takes an extra long time for this mask to dry.
The multi-tasking Bliss Multi-’Face’-Eted All-In-One Anti-Aging Clay made from clay is essential for anyone who wants a smoother, younger-looking complexion.
This mask combats various skin problems, including acne, wrinkles, dark spots and other signs of aging. It’s ideal for anyone who wants to clear up their acne problem, prevent signs of aging, or both. Thanks to multi-tasking abilities, this mask can do several things at once.
The mask’s ingredients helps to purify pores and dead skin. There aren’t any ingredients that skin professionals would warn you to steer clear of, like sulfates.
- Along with smoothing acne-prone skin, this mask corrects other skin problems, including visible signs of aging, like fine lines and dark spots.
- The mask’s 10% of glycolic acid dissolves dead skin cells and purifies pores.
- This mask doesn’t include parabens, sulfates or phthalates.
- Some users complain that they notice a temporary gray tint after removing the face mask.
- Customers have said that they need to exfoliate after taking off the mask to thoroughly remove it from their pores.
- People with very oily skin haven’t always had the best luck with the mask, explaining that they found it particularly hard to remove.
Era Organics Microdermabrasion Face Scrub & Facial Mask in One can handle acne, acne scars and blemishes. It’s even good to use on dry skin and wrinkles.
The mask contains Manuka honey which has antibacterial and healing properties. It also has the ability to boost your skin’s immunity while detoxifying it.
For problematic skin, this is exactly what you need to soothe your acne.
The product can be used two to three times a week. After application, gently massage the product for a minute and wait for another 5 minutes or until it’s dry before rinsing.
Since it’s a two-in-one product, you won’t need to spend cash on another mask or exfoliating product.
- Multipurpose product
- Has Manuka Honey
- Clears pores well
- Scent can be an issue
- A bit drying on the skin
The Joanna Vargas Skincare Exfoliating Mask is best for people with whiteheads or blackheads, because it clears away impurities and oil.
This is a multi-tasking mask that will clear acne while also improving complexion. Various ingredients help to get rid of dead skin, further smoothing your face. There’s also a clay ingredient which is ideal for clearing pores and getting rid of impurities.
While the price may be a bit high for some budget, this is an incredibly effective product and well worth it for people who haven’t had luck with other acne-clearing skin products in the past
- Aside from clearing up acne, this exfoliating masks also brightens and firms the skin.
- The fruit enzymes and lactic acid in this mask will remove dead skin.
- Kaolin clay is used to draw out impurities and clear pores.
- Some people with sensitive skin have said that this product further irritates the skin.
- To some customers, the price is too high compared to the results they saw.
- Sensitive skin may become more itchy after using this exfoliator and some people have complained of developing a rash.
If you’re hard-pressed to find a multitasking mask, this product is the one for you. It can’t only take care of your oily and acne prone skin, but it can also deeply cleanse your pores and help with skin aging.
Boscia Luminizing Black Mask contains minerals that act like magnet to lift off impurities. I’m also happy to tell you that this mask doesn’t contain parabens or even phthalates.
One tip I have to share with you when it comes to this product is to apply it thickly on your face. Just don’t make it too thick that it won’t be able to dry properly.
It’s also a good idea to avoid applying the clay near your hairline or it will rip your hair off. Trust me on this one.
For the product to work its magic, it’s recommended that you leave it on your skin for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Leaves the skin illuminated
- Has multiple skin benefits
- Not irritating
- Has a tendency to pull out facial hair
- Can be painful to pull off
The SkinCeuticals Clarifying Clay Masque mask has been formulated with natural ingredients in order to help clear up acne-prone skin.
Natural ingredients, like clay, help to smooth the skin and get rid of impurities. Clay is one of the best ingredients for treating acne.
The mask also has ingredients that will heal skin that’s been irritated by acne. There’s also a gentle exfoliator to further clear pores.
The mask is intended to be applied weekly, making it an easy commitment and a simple way to manage your acne. It doesn’t have to be left on overnight, either, making it even less of a hassle.
- Natural clay from the earth is used to unclog pores and remove impurities.
- A mix of minerals and botanicals will heal irritated skin.
- The 5% hydroxyl acid gently exfoliates skin.
- This is a weekly skin mask, which may not be enough for people with serious acne problems.
- This mask has to be left on the skin for 30 minutes, which is a longer duration than other similar masks.
- Some people have had inconsistent results after using the mask for several treatments.
The natural clay Clinique Acne Solutions Oil-Control Cleansing Mask mask helps heal acne and prevent future breakouts. It only has to sit on the skin for five minutes, making it an incredibly fast and effective mask.
Gentle and non-drying, this Clinique mask won’t irritate your skin. It’s also oil-free, which is suitable for all skin types, including dry, oily and combination.
Blemishes will be healed, acne will be prevented and your skin will remain free of shine. This formula is medicated, which is ideal for people with stubborn skin problems that have proved hard to treat in the past.
- Customers say that their skin feels soothed after a treatment.
- People with oily skin will notice that they’re shine-free after using this mask.
- The formula is medicated to penetrate the skin and unclog pores.
- People with dry skin find that they have to moisturize after using the mask because it’s somewhat drying.
- After several uses, your skin may not respond as well to it as during the first few uses.
- Some people with acne have said that the mask makes their skin more red and flaky.
The Dermalogica Sebum Clearing Masque will clean the skin and ward off future breakouts. Ingredients work to absorb excess oil, making it perfect for people with oily skin. However, it may not work on those with dry or sensitive skin.
The acidic ingredients help to unclog and exfoliate pores. It’s also useful as a spot treatment and a lot of customers have had luck with using just a dab of the mask as soon as they feel a pimple brimming.
The mask is meant to be used several times a week, which is helpful for stubborn skin problems that require a lot of treatment.
- Bentonite clay and kaolin work to absorb extra oil.
- Pores are unclogged and exfoliated thanks to salicylic acid.
- When you feel a pimple coming on, this mask will keep it at bay.
- This mask has to be used three times a week, which could irritate sensitive skin.
- Some people complain of more breakouts after using this product.
- While acne doesn’t always result, some people have reported flesh-colored bumps on their face after use.
Glamglow creates eco-conscious products, including this clearing mask, which has the strength to unclog the most stubborn of pores.
The Glamglow Supermud Clearing Treatment has been scientifically proven to treat acne and clear skin. The dermatological chemists at Glamglow create effective skincare products to treat a variety of beauty issues.
This product includes Activated X-Charcoal, which is an essential ingredient for getting rid of acne and leaving customers with smooth, healthy skin.
There are no parabens, sulfates or phthalates in this mask. After just one day of use, more than 90% of customers have reported a positive difference in their skin.
- Aside from fighting breakouts, this mask also smooths discoloration and helps with ingrown hairs.
- A blend of six acids works to brighten skin.
- Activated charcoal cleans the skin of dirt, clears pores and leaves your complexion looking healthy.
- The Glamglow line of beauty products is high-priced.
- Some customers have complained that the product is drying.
- The product has to be used quickly or it could dry out and become unusable.
The Peter Thomas Roth Therapeutic Sulfur Masque Acne Treatment Masque is an oil-absorbing mask that cleanses pores with therapeutic ingredients.
Sulfur, aloe, kaolin and clay help to clear skin, fight acne and keep your complexion bright and smooth. A pleasant aroma is added to the mask with eucalyptus and purified clay.
This is a medicated mask, which is great for people with difficult-to-treat acne, but may not be suitable for those with dry or sensitive skin.
The formula will clear skin and the aloe leaves skin soft and hydrated, not dry and itchy, like some other masks.
- This mask has 10% sulfur, which clears acne.
- Other helpful ingredients include aloe vera, which soothes; kaolin, for purification; and bentonite clay.
- This is a great mask for people who want a medicated and aromatic beauty product.
- Medicated, strong products aren’t always ideal for sensitive skin.
- This can’t be applied right after cleansing, but instead has to be applied when the skin is slightly oily. This can make a daily beauty regime more complicated.
- Some people find that their skin is flaky after using this mask and are only able to use it as a spot treatment
These acne face masks have a good track record of working for a lot of women. Many of them are tailored to your specific skin needs.
What are the best acne face masks that you've tried?